Football bodies accuse FIFA of 'deception' in

According to News.

Context

The open letter signed by the leaders of UEFA, CONCACAF and AFC represents a united position against Infantino's decisions, underlining the importance of transparency and responsibility in football management. This episode could influence future relations between FIFA and the confederations, especially in view of the preparation for the next World Cup.

Why it matters

The accusations leveled against Gianni Infantino by UEFA, CONCACAF and AFC highlight a crisis of confidence within FIFA, a key institution for world football. The issue of the sale of World Cup shares could have significant repercussions on the governance of football and its integrity, especially in view of future events such as the FIFA World Cup.

Key points

  • Football bodies accuse FIFA of 'deception'.
  • Football leaders in Europe, North America and Asia have accused FIFA president Gianni Infantino of breaching trust with a controversial plan to sell World Cup shares, leading to calls for his resignation and a possible boycott of FIFA events.
  • World football bodies accuse FIFA of 'deception' in World Cup plans.

Major soccer bodies in Europe, North America and Asia have expressed strong criticism of Gianni Infantino, the president of FIFA, accusing him of breaking trust with a plan to sell World Cup shares. In an open letter addressed to the "football family", published on Monday, UEFA, CONCACAF and AFC stressed that "when trust is broken through deception, and an individual places himself above the collective that has given him authority, that duty is abandoned."

The letter was signed by the presidents of UEFA, Aleksander Čeferin, AFC, Salman Bin Ibrahim Al-Khalifa, and CONCACAF, Victor Montagliani, together with the general secretaries of these continental bodies. "Football is the world's greatest shared passion. It belongs to no individual or institution. It belongs to the players, fans, clubs, member associations and every institution charged with safeguarding its future," they said.

Infantino is facing a revolt after abandoning his plan to sell World Cup stakes to private investors. “This is not the conduct of a custodian of the game, but of someone who believes the game must answer to him,” the letter reads. "These are not the qualities that football deserves in its leadership. This is why we have taken this position: not lightly and not alone, but together, and out of duty towards the game we serve."

Image

Infantino has also received outside support, with US President Donald Trump defending the FIFA leader in a social media post. “FIFA would be making a grave mistake if, for any reason, it considered replacing President Gianni Infantino,” Trump wrote. "He's fantastic, having just presided over the most successful World Cup ever. If he leaves, it will never be this successful or profitable again! Thank you for your attention to this issue. President DJT."

UEFA had previously threatened to boycott the World Cup and other FIFA events, although the governing body walked out and apologized for the failed plan. The Norwegian Football Federation has called for Infantino's resignation, while the English Football Association has withdrawn its support for Infantino's re-election scheduled for next March.

"The strength of football has always been its unity. We ask that this unity be honored now," the letter concludes. "For a leadership that serves football, and does not try to command it." Last week, FIFA said it had apologized for mistakes made over the failed plan, but that senior leaders at a crisis meeting in Morocco had "reassured their full support" for Infantino's presidency. However, the nature of the meeting raised criticism. “FIFA's own letter confirms that only one elected official was present at the leadership meeting in Morocco,” the open letter from the three continental federations said. "No member of the FIFA Council or Member Associations was invited to participate. Only the management committee, made up of senior managers employed by FIFA, was present." FIFA was also called on to do more than simply acknowledge that mistakes had been made.

What happens now

With calls for his resignation and potential boycotts of FIFA events, the situation could lead to a restructuring of FIFA's leadership. Furthermore, football associations could come together to develop an alternative plan to ensure that football remains in the hands of those who love it, thus protecting the integrity of the game globally.

Frequently Asked Questions

What happened with FIFA and Gianni Infantino?

Football bodies in Europe, North America and Asia have accused Gianni Infantino of breaching trust with a plan to sell World Cup shares.

Who confirmed the accusations against FIFA?

The accusations were confirmed by the presidents of UEFA, AFC and CONCACAF, Aleksander Čeferin, Salman Bin Ibrahim Al-Khalifa and Victor Montagliani.

Why has this open letter been published now?

The letter was published in response to the uprising against Infantino over his plan to sell World Cup shares to private investors.

What changes were requested by the football bodies?

Football bodies have called for a change in FIFA's leadership, stressing that football belongs to the players, fans and associations, not to a single individual.

What is the main message of the open letter?

The main message is that trust has been broken and that FIFA's leadership must reflect the qualities that football deserves, not those of those who place themselves above the collective.

Related Articles

Related Articles